The Centre has completed more than three decades of its valuable service to the social science community and scholars of the northeastern region of India.
The Aims of NERC are:
- to act as the agent of the ICSSR within the region
- to act as the representative of the social scientists of the region and to bring their ideas and problems to the ICSSR
- to provide a platform for the social scientists of the region to come together for formation of social science research; and
- to serve as the link between the social scientists of the region and the national and international community of the social scientists.
The ICSSR – NERC covers all the eights states of region – Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim. The main objectives of NERC are:
- to render essential bibliographical and documentation service for research work;
- to organize and/or support the organization of seminars, workshops, research methodology courses, conferences at different universities, colleges and other institutions in India’s northeast;
- to award study grant for research scholars in order to visit libraries anywhere in India;
- to organize lectures by distinguished scholars on issues pertaining to the North-East India; and
- to disseminate information about the programme of the ICSSR.