INDIAN COUNCIL OF SOCIAL SCIENCE RESEARCH
NORTH EASTERN REGIONAL CENTRE
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE TO RESEARCH SCHOLARS
UNDER STUDY GRANT
- The purpose of the study grant is to provide financial assistance to Ph.D. scholars in the field of social sciences for consulting libraries/archives/data centers in different cities/towns in India for collecting research material.
- A scholar should be enrolled for Ph.D in social sciences in one of the recognized Universities in India.
- Social Scientists who want to revise their doctoral thesis for which a degree has already been awarded are not eligible to get financial assistance under this scheme.
The Scheme is administered by the ICSSR North Eastern Regional Centre, Shillong:
- A Ph.D scholar from the North-eastern region is to apply to the Director of the ICSSR-NERC within whose jurisdiction he is registered for a Ph.D. in any of the university in the region
- Applications for the financial assistance under this scheme are to be sent in the prescribed format along with the recommendation of the Head of the University Department/Research Institution. Format of application form is given at AnnexureI. The application for a grant under this scheme can be made throughout the year but will be placed before the Screening Committee of the Centre, which will meet at least six time in a year. The students are required to send their applications sufficiently in advance of their proposed visit which will enable the Centre to process it on time.
Details of Entitlement:
A scholar availing this facility is entitled to the following:
- Reimbursement of Second Class Sleeper rail/bus (a combination of both is also permissible) from the place of his/her residence/university where scholar is registered for Ph.D. to the place of visit (where libraries are located) and back.
- A fixed daily allowance @ Rs.500/- to meet boarding and lodging expenses during the visit for a maximum period of 30 to 45 days in a financial year.
- An additional amount of Rs.2000/- to meet local conveyance and other miscellaneous expenses.
Duration of stay.:
- The sanctioned period of the Study Grant would be mentioned in the sanction letter issued to each study grantee.
- The sanctioned period of the Study Grant can be utilized by the scholar in more than one trip, if required, with the prior approval of the Centre concerned.
- The travel cost will be reimbursed for only one round trip from the place of residence.
- Payment of the sanctioned grant for a visit is made direct to the awardee on receipt of bills and copies of tickets.
Scholars who get this assistance are required to submit a ‘Grant Utilization Report’ at the end of their stay. Following documents should be attached with this report:
- Name of the library(ies) or archive(s) visited in the area for collecting material for research.
- Attendance Certificate from the library(ies)
- List of publications consulted in library(ies)
- A brief account on how the visit has benefited the awardee.
STUDY GRANT SCHEME: GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS
- The Ph.D. scholar should immediately acknowledge the receipt of the sanction letter and intimate probable date of arrival to the concerned ICSSR Regional Centre/NASSDOC-ICSSR.
- The Ph.D. scholar should indicate the name and address of a principal library/institution, he or she wants to visit, so that the concerned Regional Centre if needed can send a request to the institutions for providing all necessary assistance/guidance.
- Reimbursement of Second Class Sleeper Rail Fare/Bus Fare from place of residence/university where scholar is registered for Ph.D. and payment of per diem of Rs.500/- and also the additional amount of Rs.2000/- to meet conveyance and other miscellaneous expenses will be made against bills, copies of tickets etc submitted in the prescribed forms.
For other details please contact: